Sunday, 4 October 2026

[Book Review] The Apothecary Diaries Light Novel Volume 16

I did not realize how badly I needed a lighter reading experience until I started The Apothecary Diaries Light Novel Volume 16. My recent reading had been emotionally expensive. Tower of Dawn and Sunrise on the Reaping had both left me carrying more tension than I expected, and by the time I reached Natsu Hyuuga's new release, I think I had started reading with my shoulders slightly raised. Returning to The Apothecary Diaries felt like a breath of fresh air. Not because nothing serious happens, but because the series has a rhythm I already know and trust. I could simply enjoy being back in that world without feeling as if every chapter was preparing to emotionally flatten me.

Part of that comfort, of course, is Maomao. I keep finding her attention patterns strangely familiar, not in the sense of assigning her a diagnosis, but in the way her brain seems to have its own very specific ranking system for what deserves attention. Give her poison, medicine, some unusual symptom, or a strange problem and she is completely there. Meanwhile, certain interpersonal developments can practically wave flags in front of her and still need several additional rounds of processing. I understand that perhaps a little too well. Her intelligence never feels neat or universally distributed; her curiosity has preferences, and I love that about her.

And then there is the slow burn, which, after what feels like several geological eras, has finally started to burn. I have actually enjoyed how patient the relationship has been because Maomao never has to stop being Maomao just because romance exists around her. Still, by Volume 16, I was ready for some reward for that patience. There is a special kind of satisfaction in following a long-running slow burn and suddenly realizing, wait, are we actually doing this now? Has the fire finally been lit? Apparently yes, and I was very happy about it.


Volume 16 also gave me something to think about all weekend. That something was Kokuyou, particularly the way he is described through the image of the penghou, or as a kind of mirror. The idea is simple enough: goodwill is met with goodwill, hostility with hostility. At first, I found the logic almost satisfying. You treat me well, I treat you well. You treat me badly, why should I offer you warmth in return? I understand that instinct, which is probably why the description stayed with me.

I have never been the kind of person who brings exactly the same version of myself into every room. I notice what people bring into an interaction. Warmth makes warmth easy. Respect makes generosity easy. Distance creates distance, and hostility makes me guarded. For a long time, I mostly considered that reasonable. Maybe it is reasonable. What Kokuyou made me think about, though, was not simply whether this is good or bad, but how relational a personality can actually be. Perhaps there is no single version of us that everyone encounters. Some people genuinely know us as warm because warmth is what develops between us. Others experience our reserve because that is what the relationship has made possible. Both may be telling the truth about the person they know.

That makes the mirror idea more complicated than I initially thought. Being responsive to other people can be a kind of social intelligence. It means noticing tone, intention, trust, and danger rather than behaving exactly the same way regardless of context. There is nothing inherently virtuous about being endlessly warm, just as there is nothing inherently dishonest about becoming cautious around someone who has given you reasons to be cautious. In that sense, Kokuyou's way of responding to people can almost seem very precise: he gives a relationship the shape that the other person helps create.

But reciprocity becomes less comfortable when the response is no longer just about warmth or distance. At what point does “I return what I receive” stop being fairness and start becoming a way of letting someone else's conduct set my own moral terms? If I am generous only to generous people, that seems straightforward enough. But if cruelty makes cruelty easier for me, or another person's resentment gives me permission to stop caring what happens to them, the symmetry suddenly feels much darker. Matching someone's energy sounds harmless when the stakes are small; it becomes a much more serious principle when what we choose not to give can also have consequences.

That was the part I kept returning to. Perhaps being a mirror can be both self-protection and a way of avoiding initiation. You do not have to decide first whether someone deserves kindness, loyalty, distance, or indifference; you wait for them to show you what they bring, and then you answer accordingly. There is something appealing about that because it feels fair and almost free of judgment. But it also means that the first move belongs to someone else. I started wondering how often I do a softer version of the same thing: waiting to see whether someone is friendly before becoming friendly, whether they make an effort before deciding how much effort I will make, whether they offer trust before I risk offering mine.

I do not necessarily think that is something I need to correct. The more I thought about Kokuyou, the less interested I became in turning his characterization into a lesson about how one should behave. What interested me more was the question of agency. There is a difference between choosing restraint because it fits my own values and withholding something because the person in front of me withheld it first. The behavior may look exactly the same from the outside. Internally, though, one begins with me and the other begins with them.

And perhaps that explains another thing I recognized in him: the possibility that people can hold completely contradictory impressions of you without either one being entirely mistaken. Someone may know a generous version of you while another person is convinced you are cold. Someone may find you easy to approach while someone else experiences an almost impenetrable distance. My instinct has often been to think, well, look at how you approached me first. Kokuyou made that thought feel less like a simple defense and more like an interesting question. If every relationship reveals a different version of me, which of those versions do I actually claim as mine?

I still do not have a satisfying answer, and I think that is why this particular character detail survived the weekend when so many other plot details were already beginning to settle. I do not think the solution is to offer endless softness to everyone, nor do I suddenly believe that treating people according to how they treat us is inherently wrong. Boundaries matter. Reciprocity matters. So does knowing when somebody has earned distance. I am simply less certain now that “people receive the energy they give me” is a complete explanation. Sometimes it may describe a boundary. Sometimes it may describe adaptability. Sometimes, perhaps, it is a way of letting another person make the first decision about who I am going to be.

Which is slightly unfair, because this was supposed to be my pleasant recovery book. I came to Volume 16 after two emotionally heavy reads wanting familiar characters, Maomao's wonderfully selective attention, and some long-overdue combustion from that slow burn. I got all of those things. I was genuinely happy reading it. Then Kokuyou quietly handed me a completely different kind of problem to take into the weekend.

Apparently The Apothecary Diaries can give me a break without giving my brain one.

No comments:

Post a Comment